Monday 4 July 2011

New Lands

Well, what a week that was!  Action on all fronts, council meetings, my first visit to the Heath Ledger Theatre, a fishing trip to Rottnest (you should have seen the one that got away) and a trip to a ‘foreign’ land.

It’s the later I want to tell you about.  I and my fellow councillors and other people living in the City of Canning met up with and heard from a group of people from a very different culture. Wearing the clothes and jewellery that go with their culture and presenting their ideas on the future for our city and for Australia in general, these representatives spoke eloquently and with passion.

I guess you could call them new Australians, not because they were all born overseas, though some were, but because they all came from the country of Youth.

15, 16 and 17 year olds told us about what they liked about the city and what they saw as the needs for the future.   So the challenge now is to respond to their views, issues and vision.  It means being much more e-savvy, people from Youth see Facebook and Twitter as the key means of communications – and they expect this communications to be two way.

Well the City has Twitter but not Facebook, so it will be interesting to see how we go getting that up.  And me?  Well, I have my private Facebook but perhaps now is the time to get a public one, and now, perhaps even more exciting, is the time to go on Twitter.

Stay tuned for a couple of new addresses to appear on this blog, and let me know what you think of Twitter - whether you are from the land of Youth or not.

1 comment:

  1. I still don´t consider myself too old, but cannot get my head around twitter - why should I be telling everybody my every move? I rather stick to facebook and now my blog! Best of luck with Twitter though.

    ReplyDelete